Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm seeing stripes

Here's a sneak peek at the boys' room.  I had a sick kiddo on Friday and used my afternoon of work to get this party started.  It actually took less time than I thought and the outcome is WOW.














Sorry for the crappy picture, just from my phone.  I looked into lots of ways of doing this paint application before I started and found most folks simply use a level and a measuring tape.  I've heard of folks using a laser level, but I don't have one and didn't want to spend the money. So, I found my middle point on the wall, then measured from there.  I planned on 10" stripes, but due to a mishap, I ended up with 11" stripes on half of the wall.  So, I had to erase all my pencil marks and start over.  Anyhoo - you just measure up to your next stripe, then use the level to draw your stripes with a pencil.  Then use painters tape where you drew the pencil stripes.  Then you fill in every other line with your accent paint color.

All in all, without my mis-measuring debacle, I'd say the drawing of the stripes took about 1 hour, the taping about 45 minutes, painting (2 coats) about 30 minutes.  Not much time for a huge impact.

Left to do:
- new blinds (large window is special order, UGGGHH)
- hang curtains: I have the old black tab tops, but am thinking of adding some red stripes using the bedskirts I'm no longer using on the beds.
- one more coat of paint on the trim
- touch up a few spots on the walls
- hang artwork and shelves
- make a DIY coat hook board

Once I get a couple more things done I'll take some better pix.  The boys slept in their new bed last night, so major progress over the week long slumber party they held in my daughter's room.  She's glad to have the "stinky varmints" out of her room.  Who says varmint?

2 comments:

  1. Love the black/white stripes. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the stripes! I've been trying to find a place in my home to incorporate them.
    Anyway, be strong, it'll come together!

    ReplyDelete